Wednesday, March 30, 2005

SBQ Week 4

Today's "Stitching Blogger's Question," is: How has your stitching evolved since you first started stitching?

I have been stitching for roughly 12 years. I started cross stitching when I was pregnant with my first child. I started out with 2 small projects of sailboats. The finished size was maybe 2x3 and that is being on the generous side. Unfortunately, I do not have either one of the sailboats as they were blown away in a tornado. However, I do remember what they looked like. They were very simple patterns and it took me forever or what seemed like forever to finish. One glimpse at the projects and you could tell that I was a beginner. The tension was very uneven and the stitches weren't lying all in the same direction. We won't even discuss what the backs of them looked like. All of those mistakes and I was still proud of them.

Twelve years later and hundreds of patterns stitched I still occasionally make my mistakes but I usually catch them quickly or if it is not too bad I will adjust my stitching around the mistake. In my experiences non-stitchers can't tell when you have made a mistake but the fact that I know makes me be a perfectionist with my projects. I firmly believe no matter how long I stitch I will always be learning some new technique. I guess that is why I love stitching because I am always learning something new.

No comments: